Friday 2 February 2018

the power of a great blazer

HM_grey_cashmere_jumper

Over the years I have really refined my shopping habits to focus on quality over quantity. This is part of the reason (or my excuse) for posting fewer outfit posts these days: I just don't buy many clothes. Whereas 5 years ago I wore a completely new outfit every day, now I'm much more likely to be seen wearing the same or very similar outfits. The difference is that I'm much happier doing that now because I've invested in a wardrobe of timeless, classic pieces which I love, rather than trend-led cheap items with a high turnover rate.

Zara_zip_leather_ankle_boots

Instead of weekly purchases from the likes of Topshop or Zara, I'm now much more likely to buy something only once every couple of months from Reiss or Whistles instead. Don't get me wrong: selected high-quality pieces from stores like Zara, Mango and H&M still have their place (I maintain that Zara shoes are the best for their price around), but I've realised that buying something cheap that you don't love and which doesn't stand the test of time is a false economy. I've also narrowed down which items I'll buy from where. I still buy jeans from Topshop, for example, because I'm not convinced that expensive jeans really offer anything more than cheap ones. However, when it comes to tailoring - blazers in particular - quality is paramount. Ever since I invested in a Whistles blazer a year or so ago, I've really realised the difference that quality tailoring makes. There's no comparison between it and other jackets I had from the likes of Topshop, Zara and River Island. In the post-Christmas sales I invested in two more beautiful blazers from Reiss - not cheap, even reduced, but easily worth it. The fit and the quality speaks for itself. I really urge you to splurge a little more on your tailoring; I promise the cost per wear will make it more than justified.

Larsson_Jennings_Lugano_silver_watch

Reiss_Leoni_navy_blazer

Topshop_white_skinny_jeans

Alexander_Wang_black_lizard_Prisma_tote_bag

H&M cashmere jumper / similar here
Zara boots / similar here
Alexander Wang Prisma tote / in matte black here


---- shop the post ----




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig