Monday 17 September 2012

today i love... topshop unique s/s'13









Pictures / Screenshots from video at Topshop.com

After last season's triumph, I admit I was expecting a lot from Topshop Unique S/S'13. I do the same with Burberry Prorsum: after falling head over heels in love with the A/W'10 and S/S'11 collections, my expectations were ridiculously high and as a result, everything since has seemed, well... just not quite as good (I need to have another watch of today's Burberry Prorsum show before I fully make my mind up, but it didn't light up my life, if I'm honest). Unfortunately the curse of the high expectations has struck again with Topshop Unique: I just didn't think it was as good as last season. I've tried not to judge it by comparing it to A/W'12, but ultimately it was pretty inevitable that I would. The problem is not that the clothes aren't as good; it's just that the collection is not as "me". One of the things I think must be most challenging for fashion editors is seeing a collection outside of your own style; as fashion enthuasiasts we all cling dearly to our own sense of style and while I admire the aesthetic and know-how of, say Louise Gray, Meadham Kirchhoff and Susie Bubble, I just do not like their style. Topshop Unique isn't as far from my tastes, but it's just not quite there. I've picked my favourite snapshots above; highlights for me were the metallics, particularly on the shoes, the handheld bags and the oversized biker-esque jackets (see the whole collection here). I also liked the minimalist tailoring, although the styling felt just a little too 90s for me. It was certainly a very accomplished collection, and I don't want to take anything away from the designers' achievements; it just wasn't quite what I wanted it to be. That said, I can definitely see myself taking individual pieces and mixing them in with my wardrobe. Anyway, fashion - and life - would be boring if we loved everything unquestioningly, right?


Follow me on
bloglovin'
facebook
twitter
pinterest

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig